Biking in Florida: Safety Tips
Biking is very popular in South Florida because of our amazing weather and environment. However, it’s important to always practice safety precautions when cycling outside. Due to the number of unqualified drivers on the road, there are numerous fatal accidents that occur where a cyclist is hit by a moving vehicle.
As a cyclist, you see all of the road signs that guide you down the right path. When you’re cycling in South Florida it’s important that you follow the rules of the road, just as you would if you were the one behind the wheel. Always make sure to ride on the right-hand side of the road (the same direction as traffic). Riding against traffic is dangerous and a leading cause of bike-related accidents.
General safety tips
- Always remember to wear your helmet to protect yourself from physical injuries. Your chance of surviving a bike accident is much higher if you are wearing a helmet. Most bike accidents cause major head injuries.
- Follow the law. When you’re driving a car, you’re less likely to get in an accident if you follow the laws of the road. The same goes for bikers. Stop at stop signs and red lights. Do not ride against traffic.
- Check vehicles and surroundings regularly. It’s important to be aware of your surroundings and what’s going on around you. Check for oncoming vehicles before turning and watch for pedestrians at cross-walks.
- Adjust your bike seat according to your height. Make the proper adjustments before going out on a ride to ensure that you’re ready to go.
- Keep your eyes on the road. Do not text message, snapchat, or communicate via your cell phone while biking. Distracted driving applies to cyclists too.
- Plan ahead. Know your route and where you’re headed before hitting the road. Know what lane you should be in and where you will need to turn, stop, etc. This will prevent you from getting lost, or taking a wrong turn down a road you don’t know as well.
- Know your environment. Maybe you’re a seasoned cyclist in another state, but haven’t explored biking in South Florida before. Get to know the area before going out for your first long ride. This will prepare you so you don’t have to make last minute decisions on the road.
Call us today for a free consultation
Peter Porcaro is a seasoned lawyer located in Delray Beach, Florida. He specializes in auto-accidents, personal injury, and cannabis law. If you have been injured in a bike accident and need to speak to someone, call our firm today for a free consultation: 561-450-9355.